Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Kindness of Strangers


So, for some unknown reason my spell check was not working last time, so my apologies for my inability to spell certain things...

As some of you may know, I am in the present position of searching for a job. My contract with my families is over at the end of August, and I have decided to leave the world of Nannying behind for something a bit more secure, or at least something that would allow me to collect unemployment should I find myself in that position. I have been frantically submitting resumes, and trying to battle this dreary economy in which we reside. Pretty much all of my experience is in Health Care, and as such, that is where I am looking. It's rather difficult: I'm still relatively new here, and because I am a Nanny I have not really had much option to expand my social network to include many professionals. Enter Stranger. While at the dog park on Sunday with the two pooches, I struck up conversation with a couple who also had a young puppy and was playing with River. In the course of the conversation it came up that I was looking for a job. Stranger said he used to work for a health care company, and knew some of the higher level executives here in Charlotte and would be happy to pass along my resume. I must say, this was tremendously encouraging. Not because I expect anything to come of it, or to magically find a job, but because this stranger offered to help me. Asked nothing in return, and really doesn't even know me. But, I e-mailed him my resume, and he forwarded it on as promised, and the sent me a very encouraging e-mail.

I don't always have the greatest faith in mankind as a whole, but finding these golden people who will be selfless and think nothing of it is a shining point. I certainly plan to repay the favor as well as I can -- not nessicarily to him, but to some other person who may be in need of a hand.

No comments: