Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Patriotism.


Anyone who knows me can tell you I'm not the most patriotic American. I don't hate America, but I'm not blinded by the lights shining at us. I don't believe that we are the greatest nation on Earth, and I think that we have a lot of work to do. I can't really speak on many of the fiscal matters -- that has never really interested me. I know we're in a recession and it sucks. I don't know enough about the stimulus plan to really make comments on, so I'll leave that alone. The matters that most concern me are the social ones. The equality ones. The ones that deal directly with the people, and how they are viewed and treated by our government.

Obviously the big issue right now is "The Gay". With Don't Ask, Don't Tell and Gay Marriage on the forefront of political issues. I hope this is not ignorance speaking, but I firmly believe we are headed in a positive direction on that front. It helps that we have a more tolerant leader, but he is certainly not the only reason I feel this way.

Our country has a history of resistance to Change. From The Holocaust to Desegregation to Women's voting rights, we have had to fight our hardest to be recognized and once laws were passed, to overcome the prejudices. While I know many of these prejudices still exist, they are now in the minority. I believe in our country and in our government to do the right thing. I believe that 40 years from now we will think it was ridiculous that there was such a hoopla over having gays in the military and letting people marry who they love. I believe that there will still be conservative, religious families who don't agree, but I also believe that we will not interupt their faith by acting on our rights. I believe that people are starting to understand that loving someone isn't really hurting anyone else, while it might not be your cup of tea, it's ok that it's some one elses.

Many of this is new to me. This feeling of accomplishment. I am too young to really remember any major political rifts, and so this will be the torch that I carry. Belief that, in the words of Lt. Dan Choi, Love is Worth It.

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.

Anne Frank

No comments: