Thursday, January 22, 2009

Family

Okay. Real Update.
Reflection on: Family
This blog is inspired by the fact that my Foo Foo began bootcamp this week.

Family is a strange and (sometimes) wonderful thing. Genetically speaking we get no choice in the matter. And if your family is like mine, I get little choice else where. I don't say this in a bad way, I love my family. We have been through a big ugly mess together, and still somehow remain mostly whole (with one notably large absence). We fight, don't speak to each other occasionally, but I would still give anything for my sisters and my father. Despite trying for a couple years to cut myself off from them (it was painful, I was young), they have their claws embedded deeply, and I can't seem to get away. Even moving to NC, I am still involved in the occasional family drama. Well, over Christmas my little sister declared that she had joined the military. At first I thought I would be upset. I even wanted to be upset. But I actually think she has made a great choice. The downside to this choice is that she could end up anywhere in the world, and could end up in harms way. I'm proud of her for doing it, it's not something I would ever do, or ever want to do. I hope that she gets everything she wants out it, because when it comes down to it, the only thing I want is for the people I love to be happy.

No comments: