Wednesday, January 28, 2009

oh, belief.

I was having a conversation with someone the other day and they were describing a family .. "They are super nice, and very good Christians" ... was one of the main points made during said conversation. This made me think two things:

1. That is not important to me.
2. That is obviously important to you.

I don't say this in any negative way -- just that I hold almost no associations with religious beliefs. Unless you were to say "oh, they belong to that cult from texas that rapes the children" I could pretty much just not care to even know what a persons religion is. While it may have an affect on their opinions on certain things it, generally, is not an all encompassing personality trait. Whether you be Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Muslim, Pagan, or Agnostic... there are still a variety of factors that make up who a person is. I know plenty of self-centered Christians, and I know plenty of perfectly nice Agnostics. And vice versa. As long as I am not having a religious belief shoved in my face, I don't care what you believe. While I was in college I attened the DC Pride parade with a group of friends, amoung them was a girl who was raised catholic, and considered herself to be Catholic still. While she was not gay, she said "I don't see how it is any of my business what other people do. I don't have to agree with everyone completely in order to get along." This girl made a very good point -- one that I try to keep with. I don't really discuss politics or religion, and not because they aren't important to me, but because chances are what I have to say won't change your mind. Should you want to talk about it, I would more than gladly, however I am not nessicarly one of those people who has solid reasoning for the things I believe. Some people have scripture or science to back up how they feel or believe. I don't really have either, I just have what I feel about situations... and it is subject to change.

On to part deux.
Is the trait of being a certain religion important to those who consider themselves religious? Two of my most loved friends in the whole world consider themselves Christian, know that I disagree with them on certain points, but we still love eachother. So, why is it that this trait could be considered so important to some? Like mindedness? Similar Ideals? In my experience even people within the same religion can't agree on certain things, so I find it difficult to believe that this is the reason. How is someone believing the same things about a man as you do basis for defining their whole personality?

Again, this is not meant to be hostile -- just some things I was thinking about.

No comments: