Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cynical?

I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. Ok, I DIDN'T consider myself an aggressive driver until moving to Charlotte. While the Eastern Shore never offered much in the way of traffic, my frequent trips to Baltimore and DC afforded me with the opportunity to lane switch, speed and generally be obnoxious with the crowds on the Beltways. Hell, compared to people who drive 695 daily, I'm a meek driver. Here however, I've some how turned into this testosterone laden maniac who cuts people off, lane switches and yes, I have even flicked someone off here, (although I feel those were extenuating circumstances, there was a school bus involoved). All the drivers here are so friendly and I just don't know how to take it. People let you in when you need to get over. The make a break for you when you need to cross the street and traffic is backed up. Practically noone speeds. When I drive the speed limit here, I pass about 85% of the people on the road, and forbid me to go 5 or 10 over the limit -- I'd look like a speed racer! What is it about the South that causes people to be obnoxiously polite and friendly? And this is not just on the road, it is EVERYWHERE. In grocery stores, banks, malls. I'm apparently too cynical for this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you get used to it.
and eventually learn to expect it.
and then, when you leave and come back to other places like baltimore and such, you think everyone is mean and you miss it. (because secetly, you'll have become a little nicer too)