Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Motivation

I am seriously motivated at the moment. I don't know what happened to cause this, but I'm running with it!

I know that at many points you've listened (or read, rather) to me deliberate over what it is that I want to do. Well, friends, I think I'm finally taking a step in the right direction! I went to the local CC to check some things out, and I will be starting there part time in the fall. They have a program that works directly with UNC, so as long as I don't suck and keep my GPA up (which shouldn't be an issue) I'll be able to just transition right over. I think I've decided on an English major with a minor in Women's and Gender Studies, then going on to get my Masters in English (linguistics? not sure of that specification, yet) and possibly a graduate certificate in Women's Studies. YAY FOR DECISION MAKING. Now, we'll see how many times this changes, but I actually feel really confident about the English thing. Journalism is not quite the track I want to be on, although I wouldn't rule out doing something in that field in the future. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but to me it seems that English is a bit more flexible of a field to have a degree in. I do think I'd eventually like to teach college, but I also think that working for an NPO (like the HRC) would be something right up my alley. Who knows. Actually finding a job would be a long way off!

Okay, I can't lie to you and say it's all happy. I am actually scared shitless. Really. But I feel good about the decisions I am making for myself. I am not focused so much on "what if", and am happy to be doing something for me. While this might delay other life goals a little bit, I think that ultimately this is what is going to make me feel happy and secure.

So, cheers to me for making a decision.

Lets see how many times I change my mind :)

No comments: