Saturday, February 7, 2009

Flip Flops in February

This is my morning. All mine. The beautiful day has put me in a fantastic mood, and as I now sit in a small bakery/cafe eating my french style breakfast I feel that today could not get any better. I have been constantly around people for the last few days, and I needed this refresher for myself. No matter how much i love anyone, I can only stand so much of them. I need long moments to take in the hodge podge of thought in my brain and this quiet morning get away should do the trick.

Sitting here, sipping my coffee and looking out the window at the skyline of a city which used to mean nothing to me, I feel that I have made the right choices. While Charlotte may not be as large as NYC or as old as Baltimore, there is an appeal to settling here. In places, this appears to not be a city, but just a collection of neighborhoods that some how ended up in the same place. The diversity of the work force, the houses, the attractions is lovely. Who knew in this large industrial building on a road with houses that have seen better days, I would find such a lovely retreat, complete with comfy couches, eclectic decorations and french music. Who knew that in a city dominated by finance there would be Andy Warhol exhibitions, an art show entirely devoted to coture fashions, and a small but wonderful art district completed by its own dog bar.

It is strange that I have found myself at home so quickly. Strange that while it can take me years to warm up to people, I have started to fall in love with this city so quickly.

I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that I am wearing flip flops in February.

No comments: