Friday, February 20, 2009

Snippit

More from the book -- still from the beginning, I'm not really ready to post some of the more intimate parts of my life. Obviously, I will have to get over that soon.
Please, also, keep in mind that this is rough. Rough, rough, rough. No editing. I am trying to give people an idea of where I come from without it being too lengthy. I definitely plan on expanding on this -- but as a snapshot, this is what I've got. I considered posting a longer piece, but this is still my baby, and again I'm not ready to put too much out there!
Here it goes --

As a child I never thought there was anything extraordinary about my life. My parents were still married, I had two sisters, two dogs, two cats, nice house… none of these things seemed remarkable. I was a happy child, and given opportunities that until I was an adult, I did not appreciate. My Parents met in high school and married young. My father, who was in the Marines, moved my mother and himself to California, away from their native New Jersey. It was here they birthed 3 lovely daughters. The oldest being Michelle, then myself, then Ann. After kids, my parents decided they wanted to be closer to family and so we moved back to the east coast. A small town on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a blip of farmlands and beaches, where I spent a large part of my adolescence. It is the same as every small town America you see in the movies: partially segregated, wholly religious, and mostly redneck. I went to church on the weekends, played in the middle and high school band, and played capture the flag with my friends from youth group.


Seeing this snaphot of my life, one might begin to wonder what it is that I could offer. Growing up in a white middle class life doesn’t generally afford the kind of drama required for lifetime movies or heart wrenching memoirs. This is where I tell you that things are not always what they seem. As cliché as that is, I suppose there is a reason for it. And so, dear reader, I begin to divulge the details of my life.

No comments: