Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Compare

"You sound so much like your mother!"

These are words that I am used to hearing, especially coming from my dad. I am constantly reminded of how much I look like her, sound like her, and even sing like her. It doesn't really bother me as much as it used to, and I couldn't even explain why it would. I love my mother more than I have loved any person on the planet, and I miss her every single day. I think sometimes it is hard to know that I am a reminder to my dad, a reminder of all the things he lost when my mom died.

I heard this particular phrase from him on Saturday; We had lunch before he left town, and were discussing my aspirations for school. I expressed my frustration at having to take classes that I felt were worthless, and how I felt that regardless of the degree I held my intelligence wouldn't change. I mean this in a completely non-obnoxious way, but I am a very smart person. I think people often under estimate just exactly how smart I am (which I am thankful for most of the time, I like to fly under the radar) but occasionally I would like people to acknowledge it. He said that my mom often felt the same way, and that he thought she never actually gave herself credit for how smart she was -- another thing that I have apparently inherited.

I've decided that my earlier post about Foo Foo is all I'm really going to say on the subject -- it's a very personal one, and everything had a greater impact than I expected it would. I'll just say that I had a fantastic time hanging out with my sisters, and getting pedicures where people make really pretty little designs on my toes.

No comments: